Saturday, November 14, 2009

The journey starts with one step

It's been a loooooong time coming but the journey begins now. I'm way too young to be this big. For those of you who've known me for a long time, you know that there was a time when I was barely 100 llbs and that time was not even a decade ago. I have clothes in my closet ranging from size 2 to 16. There's no excuse for it and really, there's no explaination for it.

As a therapist, I help others motivate others to change on a daily basis, yet here I am struggling to overcome something that could potentially kill me if I don't conquer it. Though I am a proud African American woman and I firmly believe in the "I am not my hair, I am not this skin" creed, I understand that my weight is more than a superficial matter.

Don't get me wrong, I am tired of buying new clothes and it's becoming increasingly difficult to cross my legs. I often compare myself to a bowling ball on toothpicks because I'm so top heavy with little legs. I'm over it!

But, just with any major life change, there is deeper meaning and reason. I've never had to struggle much in my life. My mother stayed at home with me and my brother, made my lunch until I graduated from high school and sometimes, still does. I'm a total Daddy's girl (he still calls me princess) and almost every guy I've dated has taken care of me in some way.

But now, I'm at a cross roads. I've got more bills in my name than I ever imagined, I'm single and to be honest, my level of happiness is not as high as I know that it should be. I'm realizing that the fantastic life I've had has been handed to me in a lot of ways and if I'm going to keep having a fantastic life, I'm going to have to work for it... harder than I ever imagined. I've also realized that there is much that I don't have control over and that life is about response, as well as pro-activity.

SO... here it goes. I've taken the easy way out for 26 years. I've set my mind to doing things, and I've done it by the grace of God and with A LOT of support from my family. But this journey; it's just me and God. He's already at the end, so here it goes, my first step. Join me on the journey!

~Tash

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog. I am happy Heather suggested it. lol...You have tugged at my heart somewhat. My struggles aren't the same but I can relate. In this 26 year old body and mind, I very much feel the same way about my life and journey with God. Cheers to a fantastic life. A fantastic life definitely equals how we respond and is ultimately what we make it...I love you...Prayers up! BTW, I heard this quote today...Think about it- An outward manifestation is a sign of an inward deprivation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great way to start things off homie. let me know if I can be of any assistance.

    ReplyDelete