Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not your average New Year's Resolution...

On November 25, 2013 I will be 30 years old. Anyone who knows me knows my favorite quote "I don't do _____________________ (fill in the blank with some form of debauchery ). I'm almost 30".

In reality, I realize that being 30 is far from getting my AARP card (no offense to my elders). As an unmarried young woman with no children I will be the first to admit that I still enjoy the occassional weekend excursion and I'd like to think that I still know how to have fun (some of my friends may beg to differ and to them I say "shut it" SMILE). However, there is one thing I can no longer do...eat crap and expect to stay healthy/slim.

That's right. It's true; the older you get, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight. There was a time when I could eat...and drink...junk and I wouldn't see a huge change on the scale. If I did gain a couple of pounds I would simply eat salad and drink water for a day or two and drop all that I gained and then some. That was then, this is now.

As I live out the last months of my 20's, I am forced to face the truth. When I look in the mirror I see the evidence of years of eating junk, sleeping when I get around to it, and a lack of consistent physical activity. I also see the results of "dieting". I have clothes in my closet that range from sizes 4 to... never mind. We'll get to that in a later post. Bottom line is, I see a loss of control.

In my work as I counselor, I teach people how to face the problems in their lives and set goals to change what they can. I can set a mean goal. I can tell you about making it specific, making it time based, getting people on your team, etc, etc, etc. I cheer on my students/clients and pride my self on practicing reality based counseling strategies. I'm good at helping other people deal with reality. It's high time I face reality myself when it comes to my weight and the way to address it.

In reality, I don't have control over what my family or friends eat. I don't have control over the unhealthy menu options at most restaurants. I don't have control over the number of hours in the day. These are things that will not change.

I do have control over what I eat, and I have control over my actions and activities throughout the day. So, I'm taking control over my weight and setting a goal: to weigh 130 pounds by my 30th birthday.

I've shared this goal with several of my friends and family members. Some have said that I will be too skinny if I lose that much weight. Some have said that I may be a bit too ambitious. But my parents and my best friend immediately said "You can do it, get it done this year once and for all". To them I say THANK YOU! I love my close friends and family members, but I've been reminded that there is a reason you only share your goals and dreams with those who've proven that they will stand by you in truth and reality. The truth is 130 pounds is a healthy weight for my height and the reality is I'm overweight. So, thank you to those who've tried to be kind and tell me that I look alright and that I don't need to lose weight but, I do and I'm going to.

Changing the name of this blog is evidence of a greater change. I am changing my approach to getting healthy and facing the reality that it may not be as easy as it was when I was 21, 25 or even 28. I have started this blog over in the past but I must admit that I haven't had much of a focus. Now there is a clear end in sight. When I set my sights firmly in a particular direction, there's no stopping me and at the risk of sounding cocky...I usually get what I want. Well size 6 jeans, increased energy and fabulously fit life, I WANT YOU, watch out, I'm coming...

Thanks for reading this. I hope you'll stick around :)

~Tash

No comments:

Post a Comment